Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Vertical, or horizontal?

I was alarmed to see that the marvelous touchstyle guitarist Trey Gunn (formerly of King Crimson) has suffered repetitive-stress injuries in his left wrist, such that his default position for playing his Warr Guitar is now horizontal, across his lap, rather than in a traditional guitar position. This leaves me wondering how much I should try to find a comfortable vertical playing position ... that is, maybe I should skip directly to the lap position.

The immediate hardware implication is that I might need to move the strap buttons (or simply add new ones) to facilitate using a Dobro-style guitar strap to secure the instrument while I play. The immediate software implication is that as I work through preparatory exercises in Emmett Chapman's Free Hands and Greg Howard's Stick Book, vol. 1, I will need to revise Every. Single. Left-hand. Fingering.

So, my initial progress might prove very slow indeed as I experiment with both positions, and especially as I try to find the optimal placement along four dimensions to minimize strain on my left wrist, as helpfully spelled out in a post on a Stickist discussion board: 1) how close to one's left shoulder the headstock is held; 2) the rotational angle of the fretboard relative to its long axis; 3) the fretboard's angle from the vertical; and 4) the elevation of the instrument relative to the player's body. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment